milaacatontli

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at INDIANA.EDU
Tue Aug 24 19:38:23 UTC 2004

Joe has let me know that the root noun of "milaacatontli" is probably a
misspelled milla:catl 'field hand'. Sounds right.

BTW, milla:catl is milli + tla:catl  'field + 'person'. The t of tla:catl
is assimilated.

So, what you have Carlos is "big ol' field hand" in American English.

Michael

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Carlos Santamarina wrote:

> Hello everybody:
>
>     Can anybody help me?
>
>     I can't find de origin of the word milaacatontli, that is used by
> Fernando Alvarado Tezozómoc (Crónica Mexicana 2001 cap.LXXXI: 349) as
> traduction of "serranillo" or little (despective) inhabitant of the
> mountains. The context is the assesination of Tzutzumatzin from Coyoacan
> (Tepanec tlatoani).
>
>     Thank you all in any case.
>
> -----------------------------------
> Hola a todos:
>
> Alvarado Tezozómoc, en su Crónica Mexicana (2001 cap.LXXXI: 349), llama
> a Tzutzumatzin, tlatoani de Coyoacan "serranillo (milaacatontli)".
>  "Serranillo" quiere decir habitante de la sierra o de los montes, pero
> en náhuatl, excepto la terminación de diminutivo, no acierto a
> descomponer el término.
>
> Muchas gracias.
>
>     Carlos Santamarina, Madrid.

"...and cicadas sing