milaacatontli

Amapohuani at AOL.COM Amapohuani at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 26 16:35:44 UTC 2004

Irene:

I hope you find this list useful. I do not contribute much but the regular
contributors like Michael are much to be admired for the many times they have
offered explanations and examples for a host of questions.

However, since I customarily use 'ye ixquich' I thought I should answer this
one. If you stay with this list you will discover that people will offer
various translations/interpretations depending on how they analyze the elements.
One common translation is 'that is all.' One way to analyze the elements is to
regard the 'ye' as functioning like an adverb of time meaning "already" and the
'ixquich' as a quantifier meaning "all [of a certain amount]." The pragmatic
thrust is something along the lines of 'that is all I have to say" or 'enough
already.' In texts of the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries you will often find
'ye ixquich' as indicating that a statement or speech is ending or has ended.

Ye ixquich.
Barry