noun incorporation in Nahuatl

Heike Bödeker heike.boedeker at NETCOLOGNE.DE
Tue Dec 7 21:46:31 UTC 2004

Dear David,

> Quite often in general linguistic discussions of polysynthesis I've
> come across the assertion that incorporated objects in Nahuatl can
> be referential

Just out of curiosity: who did write that where and when?

>From the literature I have read I only can remember that incorporated
nouns were analyzed as unspecific, generic etc. (ok, one might call
that an unspecific, generic etc. reference), which seemingly holds
for most languages, not just Nahuatl.

All the best,

Heike