"a" vs "o/u"

idiez at MAC.COM idiez at MAC.COM
Fri Feb 6 16:54:25 UTC 2004

I have a pronunciation question regarding the nahuatl of northern
Veracruz.
Here is the present tense conjugation of the verb "to go"
        niyauh, I go
        tiyauh, you go
        yohui, he, she, it goes
        tiyohuì, we go
        inyohuì, you (pl) go
        yohuì, they go
I have always written the "yohui" with an "o", because it is pronounced
as a "u". And I have always wondered why it isn't pronounced "yahui".
During my most recent visit to Tepecxitla, Veracruz, I encountered the
following:
        ayohuitl, fog (the "o" is pronounced as a "u")
        tlaayauhtoc, there is fog.
I should also mention that the syllable final "-uh" is always
pronounced as an aspiration (example: niccahua > niccauhqui, etc.) .
There is no rounding of the lips.
I would seem that a syllable initial "hu-" (with its rounding) is
indeed changing the pronunciation of a preceeding "a". If this is the
case, I can go ahead and respell all forms of "fog" and "to go" (and
other instances of this situation) with "a"s, just like you find in
Molina.
However, it this is the case, "cahua" would be pronounced "cohua",
unless there is something about the long vowel of "ca:hua" which would
interrupt the process.
Any ideas?
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Centro de Estudios Prospectivos
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Director
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Francisco García Salinas 604
Colonia CNOP
Zacatecas, Zac. 98053
México
Oficina: +52 (492) 768-6048
Celular (desde México): 044 (492) 544-5985
Celular (desde el extranjero) +52 (492) 544-5985
idiez at mac.com
www.idiez.org.mx