Nahuatl word serious 1

r. joe campbell campbel at INDIANA.EDU
Sun Feb 22 21:33:05 UTC 2004

Lixteroxtzitzin,

   Most of the words that I present for morphological commentary are ones
that I'm reasonably sure that I already know the answers for |8-) (that's
how I think I know that they are interesting enough to occupy your
attention).  I assume that they will generate some activity and
discussion that will benefit some people, including myself.

   My words for today are mainly for self-benefit.  They have lingered on
my "not done yet" queue for a long time, partly because there were simply
so many other words yammering for attention and partly because my
candidates for analyses for these didn't immediately result in the warm
glow of self-satisfaction that comes when something goes "click".  Today I
got an "almost-click" and I wondered if I could your comments on the
following words.

  nimazatlatlacahuiloa  domar potros

  nitetlatlacahuiloa    atraer con halagos

  nitetlatlacahuiloa    assegurar con engan~o a alguno

  mazatlatlacaahuiloani domador tal (de potros)

  nitetlatlacaahuiloa   rogar halagando

   You will notice a difference in spelling between the two groups
of words.

   I would appreciate any comments that will lead me either to drop my
present hypothesis or feel more confidence in it.

Saludos,

Joe

p.s. I will, of course, tell y'all what my present ideas are --  I'm
keeping them in a sealed envelope till later...