Icniuhtli

micc2 micc2 at COX.NET
Tue Feb 24 21:18:50 UTC 2004

Hi John,

The reporter Gil, is doing an in-depth ( I hope!) story about our dance
circle.
We told him that in the vernacular of today's danza, there are many
dancer who use the
term "ahuiliztli" or happiness to mean "friend".  The teaching behind
this for our children is that true happiness come to us not in terms of
materialism,
 but through the wealth of interpersonal relationships we build,
specifically the bonds that build between danzantes of different groups,
towns,
 and now,  nations.

It is similar to our use of "compadrito" and "comadrita".  We call each
other by these terms even though we have no formal "compadrazgo"
(such as taking someone's child to baptism, first communion, etc.)  we
are compadres/comadres by virtue of being danzantes.

This use of the term " happiness" to mean friend, appears to me,  is
very much in keeping with the "disfrasismos" of old times such as "In
xochitl in cuicatl",
In altepetl, etc.

mario
www.mexicayotl.org