intervocalic s > ch

Matthew Montchalin mmontcha at OREGONVOS.NET
Tue Jul 6 19:55:36 UTC 2004

|I am trying to check the translation of a term from the Florentine
|Codex and am having trouble tracing how it has been derived. The term is
|'suchioa', which is given by Dibble and Anderson as 'pervert'. I have
|tried every variation I can think of and am now wondering whether it may
|have been drawn from the Spanish 'sucio/cia' (meaning dirty/filthy) as
|this is the only possible derivation I seem to be able to find!

If this is true, perhaps there are some other instances of an
intervocalic Spanish /s/ turning into an intervocalic Nawatl /ch/ ?

This kind of sound shift would be very useful if it appears in other
Spanish/Nawatl word pairs.