suchioa

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at INDIANA.EDU
Tue Jul 6 20:46:14 UTC 2004

Maybe Galen mentioned this this morning; I don't remember. But, when list
members write in for assistance with a certain etymon, they would
further things along if they were to include the context, i.e., the phrase
or sentence in which it appears. The  list certainly has no lack of eager
beavers ready to help. Nahuatl seems to do that to its scholars and
students-- make them enthusiastic about the subject. But the old-time
Spanish orthography does not always contribute to a clean interpretation
of a single, free-floating spelling. It's conceivable that the s- of
suchioa could me a miswritten or misinterpreted m-. "Anything" is possible
with a single word.

Tlaxtlahui,

Michael

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Matthew Montchalin wrote:

> |I am trying to check the translation of a term from the Florentine
> |Codex and am having trouble tracing how it has been derived. The term is
> |'suchioa', which is given by Dibble and Anderson as 'pervert'. I have
> |tried every variation I can think of and am now wondering whether it may
> |have been drawn from the Spanish 'sucio/cia' (meaning dirty/filthy) as
> |this is the only possible derivation I seem to be able to find!
>
> If this is true, perhaps there are some other instances of an
> intervocalic Spanish /s/ turning into an intervocalic Nawatl /ch/ ?
>
> This kind of sound shift would be very useful if it appears in other
> Spanish/Nawatl word pairs.

"...and cicadas sing
a rare and different tune..."

R. Hunter