nepohualtziztin

Galen Brokaw brokaw at BUFFALO.EDU
Wed Jul 7 20:24:38 UTC 2004

Hey Mark,
Yeah, well I also have this theory about quipu forgeries, but Boturini
is a little early for this. The first quipu forgery that shows up is in
the 1820s in England. Interestingly, the first image of this forged
quipu appears in 1830 in Kingsborough's ANTIQUITIES OF MEXICO.
But I wonder if Boturini's reference to nepohualtzitzin as basically a
kind of quipu is what prompted the inclusion of a quipu--which of course
at the time they did not know was a fake--in what is otherwise a
reproduction of Mexican manuscripts.
Galen