Nahuatl Fiction / ficcion Nahuatl

Archaeology Institute institute at CSUMB.EDU
Thu Jul 22 02:24:07 UTC 2004

Nahua language and culture discussion <NAHUAT-L at lists.umn.edu> writes:
>I second Frances' view. I actually read the whole thong as  well as
>several others by Jennings. What most appalled me was Jennings'
>distortion of the puritanical Aztecs to fit his formula writing-- sex
>in all combinations of  numbers, genders, and species-- he does the
>same thing to Marco Polo's China.

Dear Bernard Ortiz de Montellano,

        I think that the reality is that the most "puritanical" of peoples are also capable of the most perverse acts where sex, morality, and politics are concerned.  Despite the early "puritanical" bent of the early colonial Americans, rape, pillage,
plunder, murder, mutilation, and a whole host of less than puritanical acts and actions were inflicted on Native America, and other Americans deemed worthy of the same.  My interest in Jennings does not center on the question of sex, or any
puritanical leanings that any of us might hold dear, but rather with the ability of Jennings to "create" the Mexica world from the shreds and patches of so many works that often fall short.

Best Regards,

Ruben G. Mendoza, Ph.D., Director
Institute for Archaeological Science, Technology and Visualization
Social and Behavioral Sciences
California State University Monterey Bay
100 Campus Center
Seaside, California 93955-8001

Email: archaeology_institute at csumb..edu
Voice: 831-582-3760
Fax: 831-582-3566
http://archaeology.csumb.edu
http://archaeology.csumb.edu/wireless/

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this e-mail message is sender-privileged and confidential information.  It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, electronic storage or use of this communication is prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, attaching the original message, and
delete the original message from your computer, and any network to which your computer is connected.

Thank you.