imitations of Nahuatl place names

sfargo@earthlink.net sfargo at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jul 28 04:11:18 UTC 2004

I have more experience with art history than Nahuatl
language, and have a question about a European
 imitation of a Nahuatl glyph. I have been working on
an interpretation of the triptych in the Museo del Prado
known as The Garden of Earthly Delights/El Jardín de
 las Delicias, and have identified a series of imitations
of Nahuatl glyphs that appear to place the date of the
triptych in 1528, and likely no later since once news of
Cabeza de Vaca's shipwreck got back to Spain, Florida
would likely not have been represented by a swimming
pool. (How this relates to old inventories and a
description by José de Sigüenza is a long story, but the
dates indicate the triptych is not by Hieronymus Bosch.)
 In the first attached picture, I have matched details from
the triptych to details from some facsimile drawings of
the Codex Mendoza.

My question concerns what seems to be an imitation
 of a place name from the Vienna Codex (since it was
apparently in Europe), shown in the second attached
picture. It is well known that a painting by Salvador Dalí
imitates the triptych, but it has not been noted that Dalí
turned the glyph from the triptych into a glyph for
Chapultepec, with a cricket. Dalí might have seen the
Chapultepec glyph anywhere, but I have illustrated an
example from the Historia Tolteca-Chichimeca because
like the one in the Vienna Codex and the one in the
triptych, it shows the place as though it were looking
at someone or something. But what does the right-hand
part of the picture in the Historia Tolteca-Chichimeca
mean? Does it show the Chichimeca staying at
Chapultepec? I wonder if I am oversimplifying Dalí’s
translation, and/or the place name in The Garden of
Earthly Delights/El Jardín de las Delicias.

I have saved both attachments as small GIF files with
fewer pixels per inch for e-mail. In case they are
impossible to read, the contents of the first are some
details from The Garden of Earthly Delights/El Jardín
de las Delicias matched with glyphs for 1-acatl to
10-tecpatl from the Codex Mendoza, and the contents
of the second are details from the Vienna Codex, the
Historia Tolteca-Chichimeca, and The Garden of
Earthly Delights/El Jardín de las Delicias, and
Salvador Dalí’s El Gran Masturbador (1929). If
anyone is interested in the question but finds that
the e-mail attachments are not working, I can send
paper copies by regular mail.

Thank you for your attention to this somewhat obscure
question. I hope the 1-acatl to 10-tecpatl chronology
is interesting without long explanations but am working
on a book that will attempt to decode as much of the
picture as possible.

Susan Fargo Gilchrist

http://mail2web.com/ .