imitations of Nahuatl place names

sfargo@earthlink.net sfargo at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jul 28 07:29:14 UTC 2004

If it does include the glyphs it isn’t by Hieronymus Bosch
since he died in 1516. Interpreting Salvador Dalí’s imitations
of Bosch pictures (in this case of a Bosch imitation) is
complicated because Dalí claimed he was following what
he called the Paranoiac Critical Method, but I think some of
his observations were acute even when he pretended they
were paranoid. There are several other Dalí paintings that
relate to The Garden of Earthly Delights/El Jardín de las
Delicias and they’re all interesting for one reason or another.
My working assumption is that he thought he was illustrating
something important. I just wonder if he knew more about
Nahuatl glyphs than I do.

For the series of ten date signs, it seems as though the
series is too long to be an accident, even though some
 of them are obscure. There’s also a lot of supporting detail
once it’s assumed that the picture is from 1528. One example
in Nahuatl is where 7-Calli is represented by a person living
in a jar like Diogenes, so the jar is a house. The 7 comes
from seven fingers (difficult to see in the small picture)
silhouetted against the inside of the jar. Next to it is a bird
with a human foot underneath, a surrealistic version of
Cuauhtémoc’s name glyph, and the person who seems to
be missing some fingers could be Cortés who lost the use
of two fingers in the Noche Triste. All the dates make some
kind of sense, for instance where 6-Tecpatl, when the
Franciscans arrived, is the Garden of Eden.

One of the underlying ideas seems to be that reports from
the New World sounded like fiction. I think this idea is
actually illustrated since the two people in the cave in
the lower right corner of the central panel (not in the
details I sent), who probably represent Carlos I/Charles
V and Juana I (dos reyes), can see all the way across
to the left panel where a lion is eating a deer, which is
a scene from Amadis, a few paragraphs from the
beginning, where two kings see a lion eating a deer.
Part of the reason it’s all so obscure is that the thousands
of Biblical allusions José de Siguenza saw are in a Jewish
frame of reference, but it’s also that hieroglyphics
apparently were seen as obscure. So asking about the
Nahuatl glyphs is a little like asking Egyptologists what
 they think of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, except that
it’s a little more serious than that, it’s full of real political
cartoons and also is a pretty good poster for memorizing
the sequence of events from 1519-1528. But it’s interesting
to try to piece together what the person might have known.
Susan Fargo Gilchrist