translation

Frances Karttunen karttu at NANTUCKET.NET
Fri Jun 25 17:52:12 UTC 2004

>> imagined it would be "TIC". (chichilTIC, cozTIC, nexTIC, tlilTIC)
>
> Susana, I'm not sure what "it" means in your question.

It looks to me as though Susana is asking about the regular derivations you
just described:

chi:chi:l-ti-c 'It has become like peppers (i.e., red)'

coz-ti-c 'It has become like something golden (i.e. yellow)'

nex-ti-c 'it has become like ashes (i.e. gray)'

tli:l-ti-c 'it has become like ink (i.e. black)'

So Susana is looking for a free-standing word to which to attach -ti-c, but
the little family of 'green' elements is frustrating her.

(Note that although coz- is found in a number of compounds, it doesn't turn
up on its own as a freestanding word as far as I know.  Words can be like
that.  Think of the English "berry" words:  blackberry, blueberry OK;
cranberry, raspberry problematical.  And what does a strawberry have to do
with straw?)