tlahueliloc

Frances Karttunen karttu at NANTUCKET.NET
Tue Jun 29 12:35:59 UTC 2004

on 6/28/04 11:54 PM, rick dosan at rich_photos at YAHOO.COM wrote:

> How could you determine whether the root of tlahueliloc is tlaue: l , or
ahuelia?
> One means rage, and the other evil(malo), and they both can be applied to
> the meaning of tlahueliloc.  Sometimes the texts use it to describe someone
> enraged, and other times it's translated as malvado in other texts.

I am skeptical about citations of "ahuelia" in the sense of 'evil.'

There is ahhuel(i), composed of the negative element ah- and huel
'possible,' which literally means '(to be) impossible.'  Molina has "auel
monotza.incorregible," which follows from the sense of impossibility.
Andrews goes so far as to extend the connotation to being unsuccessful and
"bad" in that sense, but that's not evil.

The difference between tlahue:l- derivations and ahhuel- derivations is
obvious when you look beyond spelling to phonology and morphology.

Fran Karttunen