double auxiliary verb

r. joe campbell campbel at INDIANA.EDU
Wed Mar 24 06:31:04 UTC 2004

John,

   Your double auxiliary verb is double cool -- embedding a borrowing
*and* doubling the auxiliary.

   I checked my notes and found these marked double auxiliaries from
Molina:

nicochtipilcatoc        dormir (con) la cabeza colgada.  1555

nixtlapachonotihuetzi   prostrarse por tierra. 1571 S/N

and these from the Florentine Codex:

necuicuitihuechotoc     (not glossed yet)

xonmocuicuitihuetzto    (not glossed yet)

quehuatiquetztihui      (not glossed yet)

mehuatiquetztiuh        (not glossed yet)

   Since you are working with the living language and not a fixed body of
data, you have the possibility of finding others and even probing at what
your friends find acceptable.  Maybe you'll find a triple!!!

Saludos,

Joe