cuacholote

Juan Alvarez Cuauhtemoc tonantzn at CHORUS.NET
Wed May 19 19:14:17 UTC 2004

As a Chicano growing up in a bordertown I oftentimes heard the word
cua-cha-lote, not cua-cho-lote.  But the context and meaning was different
than what Robert proposes.  Perhaps this has to do with regional variations
as he said.  In any case, cua-cha-lote was a "bad" word.  For example, the
word, "cua-cha" in cua-cha-lote meant "caca" (shit).  So, if someone said
"no vales cuacha."  It was the equivalent of saying "you are not worth
shit."  So, if someone called another "cua-cha-lote" it was, depending on
the context, either an insult or a cariñito.  Insult: "piece of shit."
Cariñito: "Este cago todo a su padre, mi cua-cha-lotito."  ("He completely
took after his father, my little piece of shit.")  In the nahuatlized
mestizo background where I come from we inherited the use of inverted
speech.  We, for example, used "papacito" to refer to its opposite -a little
boy.  Or hombre grande to refer to a small son.  When used with cariño even
the word "caca" meant its opposite -beauty.  So, to call someone with
cariño -mi cua-cha-lotito was, in essence, to call him the opposite, a
handsome boy.

Juan Alvarez Cuauhtemoc