cuacholote

r. joe campbell campbel at INDIANA.EDU
Fri May 21 02:16:10 UTC 2004

  Francisco Santamari'a, Diccionario de mejicanismos, says,

  "Individuo, persona descuidada en el vestido y en el aseo corporal."

* * * * * * * * * * *

   I have visited and traveled in Mexico (mainly Jalisco, Morelos,
Guerrero, and Puebla) since 1959 -- and I have heard it used with some
frequency.  On the other hand, a friend of mine who grew up in Mexico City
(to adulthood) just told me today that he had never heard the word.
Hmmm...  I guess it could be related to our respective dress;  I probably
attract the use of a few other words that he doesn't.  >8(

   I have checked all three Molina dictionaries and the Florentine Codex
for attractive sources and I've come up dry.  ...substrings like:
  cuacha...
  cuacho...
  cuaxa...
  cuaxo...