Cuacha

Matthew Montchalin mmontcha at OREGONVOS.NET
Thu May 27 22:19:49 UTC 2004

micc2 top-posted:
|No but maybe it is not a Nahuatl derivative?
|
|Matthew Montchalin wrote:
|
|>micc2 wrote:
|>|"If you have studied Classical Latin, you naturally know about stercus
|>|and fimum, neither of which have the slightest similarity to the Spanish
|>|'caca.'"
|>|
|>|However we do use the word "estierco"  for cow manure.
|>
|>Ah, good to learn that.  (Certo alienus vel ignarus hispanicae linguae
|>sum, nimirum Hispanicam nescio.)
|>
|>But can you suggest an etymology for kwacha?  I am grasping at straws
|>when I suggest things like Latin quatio (or its frequentative form
|>quasso).  I would only observe that the consonant found in the middle
|>can shift a little, as if palatalizing, perhaps even turn into ch.

And how would an objective person go about finding out whether kwacha
or kwacho is of a native Nawatl origin, short of examining the leads
where one finds them?  I suggested the Latin participle quasso because
it sounds kind of like kwacho, especially if something happens to the
double 's' in the middle.

As you seem to be implying, a host of European-sounding words don't match
up, where else should one go to find an alternative?