cuacholote

Maria MBOLIVAR at SAN.RR.COM
Wed May 19 18:42:28 UTC 2004

It is cuachalote and it does not quite mean clumsy. It means untidy,
badly dressed, dirty. Cuachalote is often used to diminish someone who
concducts himself or herself in a careless manner. Mira nomás qué
cuachalote is also used as the equivalent of fachoso or dejado...
Maria

"We don´t see things as they are,
We see things as we are."
Anais Nin

Dr. María D. Bolívar
MBOLIVAR at san.rr.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Nahua language and culture discussion
[mailto:NAHUAT-L at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of robert barkaloff
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 11:26 AM
To: NAHUAT-L at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: cuacholote

Joanna M. Sanchez wrote:

> I am analyzing the Mexican Spanish slang term /cuacholote/, which
> refers to a clumsy or untalented person, for its Nahuatl root.  Would
> it be /cuauh-xeloa/, or should /cua-xolotl/ be considered /?/

Just a note:  I grew-up hearing this word at me -- thank's mom.   I do
remember the pronounciation as "cua-cha-lote."  This may be a regional
variation, though  I have never heard the word pronounced as
"cua-cho-lote."   I also assumed it to be "cuah-xolotl," though I'm not
sure of it's derivation.  In the context which I understood the word, it
refers to someone who is sloppy or unkempt in appearance or in their
doings.

Robert