Cuacha

butlerpe at PURDUE.EDU butlerpe at PURDUE.EDU
Fri May 21 05:44:26 UTC 2004

It seems like you know quite a bit about Latin and since Spanish comes from
Latin, at least that's what I thought but I am no linguist, maybe you have
heard the term "cuacha" used in Spain?  I met a few people from Spain in Mexico
before and they had never heard the term.  But, then again, some of my best
friends are from Guanajuato and they've never heard it either.  Here is
something that just came to mind.  I don't know how politically correct
everyone is going to find this but it's part of the reality of Mexicans and
Mexican Americans alike.  The only people I have heard use this word are my
relatives, and my family all has dark skin and "el aspeto indigena."  In other
words, I think my family has a lot of Indian blood, but how much or from where
I don't know.  My friends that I mentioned from Guanajuato are blanquitas, and
their mother told me in a conversation once that she was proud that they didn't
look like "indios," and, when her slightly darker skinned daughter was brought
up, she commented on how she felt bad for her since she was more morena.  So, I
would be inclined to think "cuacha" has its roots in an indigenous language,
even if it is not nahuatl.