Cuacha

r. joe campbell campbel at INDIANA.EDU
Sat May 29 04:51:05 UTC 2004

Joanna,

    I don't know why people are attracted to the study of language
morphology, but there are lots of kinds of people out there -- some just
care about *what* a document says, without regard for the mechanics of
*how* it says it, some like to draw fascinating maps of subtle
pronunciations from to town, and others like to take educated guesses at
how a language (or a family of them developed through time).

   My Dad never quite decided whether 1) poking a seed in the ground and
helping it grow or 2) understanding everything about electricity was more
interesting.

   But when I entered graduate school and found a large box full of
Spanish morphology notes by Sol Saporta stuck back in a old cupboard,
I discovered what to do with my available time -- as Willie Nelson says,
"I'm just doin' what I would do if nobody was paying me fer it."  And now
retired, I can prove that I mean it.

   Nahuatl morphology is (I always say) like handball -- even a beginner
can derive a lot of satisfaction from since the ball keeps coming back to
you.  But as you practice and practice, you find that there was more to it
than seemed at first; the more you dig (pardon the mixed metaphor), the
richer it gets, so you're never bored -- the carrot is always there.

   Your message contained several ideas and you will find agreement and
disagreement, but I thought that I'd just send along some relevant data
about them.  "ihzolihui" and "zolli" are (seem to me) that they show the
closest chance of relationship.  I wouldn't say that about "xolochtli" and
"xolotl", since I'm more morphologically conversative that some people --
on the other hand, I like to feed on the ideas of people who are more
willing to take chances.

Relevant stuff follows in separate messages.

All the best,

Motocayo Joe