Can the group help?

Rickey456 at AOL.COM Rickey456 at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 21 05:04:43 UTC 2004

Hi

I've been lurking here for some time now- reading and enjoying the messages.
I am now seeking help from the group.

My associate and I are involved in a cross-cultural linguistic project
involving the translation of a short non-technical text of six sentences. The text
comes from the Jewish celebration of Passover- which as related in Exodus in
the Bible tells of the liberation of the ancient Israelites from the slavery of
Egypt. The text is called the 4 Questions. The youngest child at the ceremony
recites the text, which is in a combination of Hebrew and Aramaic, and the
discussion which follows is used to teach the next generation about their
tradition, about slavery and freedom, about the world and their own cultural
diversity.

To date we have acquired more than 260 translations of languages from
Africaans to Zulu with oral readings of most of the languages by native speakers.
Our future plans involve a book with the translations, some history and
information about the languages and perhaps a DVD because we also have several sign
languages included.

 During a vacation in  Puerto Vallarta last year, I met a woman who makes
beaded bracelets on the beach. She is of Náhuatl ancestry and was born in the
state of Guerrero. She agreed to translate the text for us. This was great- I
figured I would have the text and would only have to ask for minimal help from
the members of this group.  I returned a couple of weeks ago with the text in
Spanish and with a translator's 'help' sheet. She then told me that she can
neither read nor write - Spansh nor Náhuatl. You can image my disappointment.

So I now ask members of the group if there is anyone who would be willing to
try a translation.Again I can provide the text and informational page in both
English and Spanish.

Thanks for you consideration.

Rickey Stein