Regarding Frye's analysis of Zacatlan

Frances Karttunen karttu at NANTUCKET.NET
Thu Oct 14 18:53:48 UTC 2004

Clearly the place name is formed of the stem zaca- 'grass' (minus the
absolutive suffix of the citation form zacatl) plus a suffix. There is
a locative suffix  -tla:n with a long vowel.  -tla:n binds to stems
without the -ti- ligature and means 'next to, among.'

Then there is the postposition -tlan with a short vowel that means
'beneath, under.'  This one binds to stems with -ti- to form place
names but does not use the -ti- when functioning as a simple
postposition, as in i:-tlan, for example.  With body parts there are
some -tlan doublets with and without -ti.

I think "Zacatlan" is actually Zacatla:n and formed with -tla:n in
contrast to Teno:chtitlan

Fran