Uto-Aztecan Homeland

Mark David Morris mdmorris at INDIANA.EDU
Sun Oct 17 19:01:41 UTC 2004

Alec,

Thanks for your comments.  Just a couple of clarifications in case someone
elese is interested in following this.  First, when I was speaking broadly
of Otomanguean and affinitive languages, I was speaking very broadly,
referring specifically to the similarities among Otomanguean, Mayan and
Mixe-Zoquean languages that do not extend to Uto-Aztecan languages.
Second, the first migrations of Nahua-speaking peoples into Central and
Eastern Mesoamerica occurred roughly concomitant with the spread of
agriculture north beyond the limit of the Mesoamerican area, ca. 500-700
c.e. (common era), although if Nahua circulated in the western region
(Nyarit, pacific Jalisco and Michoacan) earlier, it is likely that it
was present in the extensive contacts of the western cultures with the
Tlaxcala-Puebla region ca. 300 b.c.e.

best,
Mark Morris

La muerte tiene permiso a todo