Coahuila

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at INDIANA.EDU
Fri Oct 22 12:39:24 UTC 2004

The front end of this term, the "Coahuil-" part is probably not Nahuatl.
Granted, the coa- is invitingly similar in form to the Nahuatl root for
"snake," but the -huil- just doesn't fit the Nahuatl bill. Given the
location of these people, it's most likely the Coahuil- came from another
language. If you are serious about tracking down the etymology of this
term, then you might want to start with the languages of northern Mexico,
perhaps with the language of these people.

Michael