Coahuila

James Maffie maffiej at LAMAR.COLOSTATE.EDU
Fri Oct 22 23:07:05 UTC 2004

I agree with Joanna. First, this strikes me as a sound methodological
principle: when trying to explain some phenomenon, turn first to the
environment (or perceived environment) before resorting to (what from the
etic standpoint we deem) hallucinations, illusions, etc.

I am unfamiliar with the snakes in the region in question, but do I know
firsthand that sidewinders not only appear to fly across desert dunes but
in fact leave track marks that show that the snakes do actually leave the
ground.