Otonteuctli icuic

Frances Karttunen karttu at NANTUCKET.NET
Wed Sep 1 01:06:21 UTC 2004

On Aug 31, 2004, at 2:29 PM, Carlos Santamarina wrote:

> A sentence from the Florentine Codex. There’s no spanish version,
> because on the left the page is blank. The context is about
> Otontecutli, the otomi god.
>  We have to know that Cuecuex is the tepanec name of the same god, and
> otomi and tepanec are from the same ethnic family:
>

> «Otontecutli icujc
>  [...]
>  Nitepanecatl aiacuecuexi niquetzalcoatly, aia cuecuexi... »
> (Florentine Codex book 2º, appendix: 141)
>
> “Otontecutli's song
>  I am tepaneca ...................... I am Quetzalcoatl (?),
>

>  Thank you all.

I think that one thing going on here is intrusion of vocables into the
verse.

So with different spacing, etc., it would read:

Nitepanecatl [aya] cuecuex i[n] niquetzalcoatl [y aya] cuecuex i[n]

I'm not sure about the "i[n]"s, but  "aya" is common in the old songs.