Edgar: doublets, bifrasismos, difrasismos

Geoff Davis mixcoatl at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 2 23:56:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:20:08 -0500, Mark David Morris
<mdmorris at indiana.edu> wrote:
> Regarding in atl, in tlachinolli, it may also be important
> to bear in mind that tlachinolli most directly refers to the
> kind of burning done in agricultural fields.  What I'm
> suggesting is that war was being metaphorically equated
> to an agricultural cycle.

I wasn't aware of the correlation between tlachinolli and
field burning, which may just go to show my inexperience.

I had, though, considered the possibility that there was an
agricultural significance to the terminology, but hadn't the
knowledge to prove it beyond "just a hunch".

Principally, I drew my conclusion from the idea that what
I was reading was a juxtaposing of elements that represented,
at some level, the wet and dry seasons of Mexico.

It seems to me this has significant parallel with the role of
destruction-balance (war?) in Hinduism, albeit in a different
context.

I could, of course, be totally off base -- on account of being
still a newbie.  Are there others who also see this correlation?

Kind regards,

-Geoff