Hippocrene dictionary

micc2 micc2 at COX.NET
Tue Sep 7 21:22:47 UTC 2004

"... I have also sat with people in
Mexico who were explaining the proper word for coffee to me,
drink-that-prevents-sleep. I believe there is a serious attempt to
express things in Nahuatl without borrowing words. ..."

I believe that there are times when creating non "borrowed" words
becomes elitist.
Such as when the French want to get rid of  "le week end"  in French or
Spanish speakers want to use correo electronico instead of "email"
my experience has been with spanish speakers (here on the frontera) and
my Nahuatl friends from Veracruz that most people opt for the least
amount of
syllables.  Thus technology usually keeps the terms from the society it
came from (like tomatl, chocolatl in the 16th century as they went to
the rest of the world)