Hippocrene dictionary

micc2 micc2 at COX.NET
Tue Sep 7 21:34:25 UTC 2004

Tlazcamati for your words Stephanie,

I just think that we should be careful of creating words that will never
be used by the "common folk"  It is  easy to create words that will
serve no purpose
except to show how adroit a person is at manipulating a language.

especially when beginners like me are taught  these "new words" as
canonical words that imply wide usage, we might end up talking nonsense
to native speakers who might look at us with bemusement.

Many years ago a "nahuatl teacher" told me that to say "tren" (train)
you said:  tepuztelollotl.   I said this word once to another Nahuatl
speaker, one who did not
put himself  out there as a "maestro"  and  she said I had just said "
it is a  metal corncob"......hmmmm......