Hippocrene dictionary

jrabasa at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU jrabasa at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Sep 7 23:12:49 UTC 2004

The European production of words in the sixteenth century to name and
describe American things and people led to phenomena not unlike "it
is a metal corncob."  Read, for example, Oviedo's entry on the
pineapple, la piña, in the HISTORIA NATURAL DE LAS INDIAS (ca 1547)
and you will find an alternation between "piña" as in pine cones and
"alcarchofa."  The description of flavor bursts into tutti-frutti.
The coining of new words need not be transparent at first. The
principle should be that Nahuatl is an incredibly resourceful and
elegant language that can invent terms for the most contemporary
objects.