Hippocrene dictionary

idiez at MAC.COM idiez at MAC.COM
Wed Sep 8 22:55:26 UTC 2004

Listeros,
        I had a chance to briefly peruse Herrera's work this Summer. First of
all, it isn't a dictionary: it's a vocabulary list. This list makes no
mention of where the material came from. Are there classical sources?
Are there modern sources? If so, what are they?
        We have written evidence that Nahuatl as a language has been
creatively adapting to change since the mid 1530s. Today words for car
and bus, for example, differ from microregion to microregion. In
Zacatecas, we work simultaneously with Older and Modern Nahuatl, and
since our vehicle for teaching is the language itself, we are
constantly struggling with ways to express new concepts. This is all
good. The problem is that if you are going to publish a dictionary, you
need to be methodical and explicit about how you put it together. You
need to explain the decisions you had to make in order to arrive at
your final system of "words", definitions, and grammatical terminology.
This is not done in Herrera's work.
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Unidad Académica de Idiomas
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Director
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México