o/u

Frances Karttunen karttu at NANTUCKET.NET
Fri Sep 17 01:41:24 UTC 2004

I don't think they are dialectal differences.

Nor do I think the orthographic variation reflects pronunciation or
phonological "change."

The correspondence of long /o:/  to orthographic u doesn't hold up.  A
number of people have compiled extensive lists of attested u for /o:,
o/ and found no predictable pattern.  It doesn't correlate with length
or with stress.

So far as I can tell, the situation is simply that Spanish has two
rounded back vowels, /o/ and /u/, that contrast in point of
articulation, whereas Nahuatl has two rounded back vowels that contrast
in length.  For Nahuatl, point of articulation for a back rounded vowel
isn't salient, so it can be all over the map, so to speak. Ears attuned
to Spanish sometimes hear u and other times o, but it's all the same to
native speakers of Nahuatl.  Hence the randomness of the orthography.

We need to  beware of identifying a language point-by-point with the
symbols used for representing it.

A grad student from Finland once told me that after just a semester in
Bloomington, Indiana, he had made such progress with English that he
could not only hear but also produce the distinction between "right"
and "write"!!!!