cuauh=bosque?

sfargo@earthlink.net sfargo at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Sep 29 10:38:00 UTC 2004

Still trying to untangle how the name Hieronymus Bosch turned
into Geronimo Bosco and El Bosco in Spain.

According to my interpretation of El Jardín de las Delicias (which
I'm calling La Bariedad del Mundo following an old inventory), a
person in the center is Cuauhtémoc, since the mini-scene
represents the year 7-Calli (ld 7-house.jpg). The 7 is shown by
someone (I suppose Cortes) poking 7 fingers at him, and the
jar is a house by analogy to pictures of Diogenes who lived in
a barrel. The bird with human feet underneath is an eccentric
version of the name glyph (cuauhtemoc.jpg).

But there seem to be all kinds of contexts where cuauh has
something to do with trees or wood or a forest. Is there any
connection to the name Cuauhtémoc? Is there another glyph
besides the eagle that could represent cuauh in the sense of
wood or trees?

In other words I wonder if there's any sign in the detail from the
painting (ld 7-house.jpg) that the artist knew that cuauh could
also mean wood or trees. It would imply that someone was
explaining more than just glyphs for 1-acatl to 10-tecpatl, a
personal name, and a couple of place names, maybe showing
how picture writing can distinguish between words that sound
the same?
Susan Gilchrist

http://mail2web.com/ .