Hippocrene dictionary

Amapohuani at AOL.COM Amapohuani at AOL.COM
Tue Sep 7 23:33:17 UTC 2004

Listeros:

Once again I am impressed by the thoughtful openmindedness of many of the
people on this list. I very much look forward to reading Fran's review (see
below) but am reminded of a comment someone much wiser than I made about language:
'the only perfect language is a dead one.' That is, once a language is no
longer actively used then there is always someone who fixes upon some 'high
culture' definition of what constituted that now-no-longer-spoken language, makes
its conventions the standard for all other varieties, and then attempts to foist
this somewhat (not always completely) arbitrary choice on everyone else who
wants to study that language.

I am rather focused on the 16th to 19th century varieties of Nahuatl (as
expressed in docs) but am very mindful and appreciative of what others have been,
or are, doing. For example, I think Jonathan Amith's upcoming publication is
going to be a major help for folks like me.

The more the merrier. And my sincere thanks to all of you who help keep
Nahuatl, in all its many spoken and written forms, a living language.
Oannechmocnelilitzinoque, otlacauhqui in amochalchiuhyollotzin.

Ye ixquich.
Barry D. Sell