o/u

Swanton, M. M.Swanton at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Tue Sep 21 16:29:15 UTC 2004

Back in 1962 Gunter Zimmermann and Hansjakob Seiler wrote an article in the
IJAL on "orthographic variation o/u" using Molina and Gaona as a corpus.
Apparently Zimmermann worked through all of these two works and examined
where <o> and <u> appeared.  In some environments there was never any
variation and only <o> appeared (such as at the end of words or before a
understand them correctly, they found that often <u> appears before a
There also seems to be some conditioning by labials. It too bad that they
didn't take vowel length or accent into account in their analysis.  I do
find the Germans' data suggestive that the orthographic <o / u> in Classical
Nahuatl might be representing allophonic variations of /o/ and /o:/.  How
does this resonate with modern forms of Nahuatl?

-----Original Message-----
From: idiez at MAC.COM [mailto:idiez at MAC.COM]
Sent: woensdag 15 september 2004 16:47
To: NAHUAT-L at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: o/u

Is there an explanation about when the "o" is pronounced with a "u"
sound? Mario just mentioned that it is for long "o"s, but I know from
experience that this is not so.
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Unidad Académica de Idiomas
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Director
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México