Coalinga, LIpantitlan

Frye, David dfrye at UMICH.EDU
Thu Apr 14 15:15:28 UTC 2005

Yes, the "Lipan Apache" (no doubt not their own name but one bestowed
upon them). See, e.g.,
http://college.hmco.com/history/readerscomp/naind/html/na_019700_lipanap
ache.htm

I would say it is the "-titlan" that ending looks unnatural for Lipan,
and for Texas, rather than the other way around. I would bet the name
resulted from the same sort of semiliterate local boosterism that gave
us Plano, Texas (the founders thought "Plano" was Spanish for "Plains").