new Molina printing

R. Joe Campbell campbel at INDIANA.EDU
Tue Aug 2 20:32:44 UTC 2005

    Regarding the use of the word "facsimile" (and related forms), I have a
problem.  My problem particularly relates to the Porrua edition of Molina,
which I believe does not qualify as a facsimile edition, since it is, in
fact, a facsimile edition of the Platzmann 1880 Molina, although neither
the type-face nor the pages are the same size.  That is the location of
the weak link; Platzmann is *not* a facsimile of the 1571 Molina.  It does
not contain literal images of the folios of the 1571 publication, as do
the 1944 Ediciones Cultura Hispanica volume and the 2001 volume edited by
Esther Hernandez.
    Rather, type was re-set in 1880, leaving the way open for the
introduction of new errors, something which is impossible in a true
facsimile edition.  The way being open, many errors were in fact
introduced, some of the popular ones being substitution of 'v' (or 'u')
for 'n' and vice versa, as well as mis-readings between 'y' and 'v'.

    What all of these editions do share is the original spelling, including
"tall s", c-cedilla, and vowel abbreviations.  However, the type-font of
Platzmann is not the type-font of the original.  And the wavy lines of
type of the 1571 edition are certainly missing in Platzmann!!

    Maria Moliner's definition of "facsi'mil" or "facsi'mile":
"Copia o reproduccio'n exacta de un libro, un impreso, un dibujo, una
firma, etc."

    If there was an older, looser, and no longer current use of
"facsimile", I would be interested in knowing about it.

Joe