Image permissions/copyright

José Rabasa jrabasa at CALMAIL.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Aug 13 16:49:54 UTC 2005

Dear Caroline and Max:

It is my impression that the days when publishers gave permission are
over, given that libraries claim rights. This was for instance the
case with a request to use images from the UC Berkeley edition of the
Mendoza; they just sent me to the Bodleyian. Having said this,
Caroline, you may as well try Max's recommendation first. It might
work.  I am currently waiting for authorization to use a reproduction
of a a page from  the facsimile of the Florentine Codex. Who has the
rights? The photographer, the publisher or the  Biblioteca Medicea
Laurenziana?  I have the impression that we had this discussion
before and that the general opinion was that it is the libraries who
hold the rights. Unfortunately, I might add. But this is not the
place for nationalist rant.

Jose