Image permissions/copyright

sfargo@earthlink.net sfargo at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Aug 13 21:23:34 UTC 2005

To:NAHUAT-L at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Did UC Press say whether that applied to the tracings of the Mendoza codex?
I was
going to use some bits from the "Pictorial Parallel Image Replicas" marked
as *
tracings* by Jean Cuker Sells from page 8 of that section of the paperback
to label
details of a European painting. So I wonder if the Bodleian has the rights
to the
tracings. I'm only using them to mark some details 2-tecpatl through
10-tecpatl, and
was  copying the details from the tracings because they're more legible
than the
original with its blue paint.

For that one illustration, an alternative would be to write "ce acatl" etc.
phonetically,
since the details are labels. I wonder what the story is for tiny details
though. The
illustration is an extreme case since 1-acatl is from another codex and the
labels are
on details from a painting, and I was hoping UC Press, Vienna, and
Patrimonio
Nacional would just okay it without charging anything, in other words there
would
have to be permission, but permission might be free. I wonder what Vienna
would be
likely to charge for one ce-acatl. (see attached)
Susan Gilchrist