Image permissions/copyright

Archaeology Institute institute at CSUMB.EDU
Wed Aug 10 12:47:27 UTC 2005

Nahua language and culture discussion <NAHUAT-L at LISTS.UMN.EDU> writes:
>Dear Colleagues,
>
>I am currently working on my first book for Palgrave (a development of my
>doctoral thesis about gender in Aztec culture) and I was hoping that those
>on the list with far greater experience might be prepared to offer some
>advice about copyright permissions. As is usual with these things, I am
>wrangling with the publisher about costs of permissions and who will pay
>them (mostly me!) and so have been investigating the best place to obtain
>some images. The cost of permissions vary tremendously between institutions
>and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any particularly good (and
>preferably affordable) sources of Aztec images.
>
>The pictures in the book will be black and white in-text images, not plates,
>and are mostly intended to illustrate the text and evoke the sense of the
>culture, rather than to be critical to the discussion, which gives me quite
>a lot of flexibility. Any advice or suggestions which you could offer would
>be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
>
>Yours,
>Caroline
>-----
>Dr. Caroline Dodds
>Junior Research Fellow
>Sidney Sussex College
>CB2 3HU
>
>ced44 at cam.ac.uk

Dear Dr. Dodds,

	I recently faced this very same issue with respect to indexing, bibliography, and illustrations needs, and prepared a proposal for a "publication subvention" to cover such costs.  My co-editor and I submitted this request and were funded by his
Dean.  As such, all indexing and cross-referencing of bibliography and illustrations fees were covered.  You may wish to consider this option for your own book.  PS: I have a large collection of images (ca. 300,000 slides) that I've produced during
the past 30 years...and the majority concern Mesoamerican themes.

Best Regards,

Ruben G. Mendoza, Ph.D., Director
Institute for Archaeological Science, Technology and Visualization
Social and Behavioral Sciences
California State University Monterey Bay
100 Campus Center
Seaside, California 93955-8001

Email: archaeology_institute at csumb..edu
Voice: 831-582-3760; Fax: 831-582-3566
http://archaeology.csumb.edu; http://archaeology.csumb.edu/wireless/

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?"

-Albert Einstein

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this e-mail message is sender-privileged and confidential information.  It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, electronic storage or use of this communication is prohibited.