A Question for Experts Here

Galen Brokaw brokaw at BUFFALO.EDU
Tue Feb 1 14:03:21 UTC 2005

This is interesting. I paid to have photographic images made of some
Mexican pictographic documents housed in the Lilly Library, and they say
that if I ever use them in a publication, I have to pay them a fee of
$100.00 per image. They also charge $100.00 for use of an image in an
exhibition and $15.00 for use in a public or classroom lecture.
Is this passage from 2004 that you cite a change in the law, or has the
Lilly Library been collecting unjustifiable fees?
Also, assuming that the passage cited is not being taken out of context,
I assume that this applies to images that you obtain directly from the
manuscript or original book. In other words, you wouldn't be able to
reproduce an image taken from a facsimile edition without permission
from the publisher, right?

Galen