A Question for Experts Here

José Rabasa jrabasa at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Feb 1 16:17:09 UTC 2005

In this respect the Biblioteca del Instituto Nacional de Antropologia
e Historia at the Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City lead all
libraries I have visited by not only not charging for the
reproduction and use of images but by providing high resolution
reproductions in free CDs.  It appears that Metropolitan centers
that claim to be only responsible holders of collections hog
materials and display outlandish greed. Now, as most of you, I am
most interested in the resolution to this most pressing question.
Note that the University of California Press edition of Codex Mendoza
does not own the copyrights of the images but the Bodleyian as
"owners" of the codex. The Bibliotheque Nationale de Paris might be
slow but does not charge for use and allows the use of scanned images
free of charge.

Jose