dictionary verb citations

Joost Kremers joostkremers at FASTMAIL.FM
Tue Feb 15 23:02:34 UTC 2005

Hi John,

It's funny, really, seeing you mention this. There is a similar discrepancy
in Arabic, where dictionaries compiled by Western Arabists tend to use the
perfective form as citation form, while dictionaries compiled by native
speakers tend to use the imperfective form. The imperfective is indeed the
form that a native speaker will give you when you ask him what 'to jump'
means in Arabic.

So I would suggest, if your target audience are native speakers (which I
assume is the case, given that the dictionary is to be monolingual), use
the form that they would themselves use. Just imagine how you would feel
about a dictionary of English that listed all the verbs in their gerund
forms, or worse, in their past tense forms... i mean, you'd get used to it
easily enough, but it would nonetheless be kind of "off".

Just my two dimes, of course...

Joost

--
Joost Kremers, PhD