Translation of Tzompantli

Archaeology Institute institute at CSUMB.EDU
Wed Jan 5 15:47:44 UTC 2005

Dear Colleagues,

        I've just completed an initial draft of a manuscript on the subject of the Mesoamerican tzompantli.  During the course of my research I found diverse translations and interpretations of the term "tzompantli."  For one, the term tends to be
interpreted as "skull rack" in the most generic sense, whereas those who have had occasion to translate the term more literally identify its meaning with the translation of "skull banner" -- which appears to constitute a gloss of tzontecomatl (skull
or gourd?) and pantli (banner).  Any assistance from the nahua language experts out there would be most appreciated, and acknowledged in print.  PS: By the way, the manuscript in question is titled "The Divine Gourd Tree: Tzompantli Skull Racks,
Decapitation Rituals, and Human Trophies in Ancient Mesoamerica."

Best Regards,

Ruben G. Mendoza, Ph.D., Director
Institute for Archaeological Science, Technology and Visualization
Social and Behavioral Sciences
California State University Monterey Bay
100 Campus Center
Seaside, California 93955-8001

Email: archaeology_institute at csumb..edu
Voice: 831-582-3760
Fax: 831-582-3566
http://archaeology.csumb.edu
http://archaeology.csumb.edu/wireless/

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this e-mail message is sender-privileged and confidential information.  It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, electronic storage or use of this communication is prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, attaching the original message, and
delete the original message from your computer, and any network to which your computer is connected.

Thank you.

--
This message has been scanned for viruses, worms, and potentially dangerous attachments and is believed to be safe. We do not recommend opening attachments unless you are expecting them. To learn more about virus protection at CSUMB, visit:

http://it.csumb.edu/services/virus/