Translation of Tzompantli

Archaeology Institute institute at CSUMB.EDU
Wed Jan 12 21:04:14 UTC 2005

Nahua language and culture discussion <NAHUAT-L at LISTS.UMN.EDU> writes:
>On Jan 5, 2005, at 10:47 AM, Archaeology Institute wrote:
>
>>  During the course of my research I found diverse translations and
>> interpretations of the term "tzompantli."  For one, the term tends to
>> be
>> interpreted as "skull rack" in the most generic sense, whereas those
>> who have had occasion to translate the term more literally identify
>> its meaning with the translation of "skull banner" -- which appears to
>> constitute a gloss of tzontecomatl (skull
>> or gourd?) and pantli (banner).
>

>'Banner' is pamitl.  It is one of those nouns which drops its stem i
>when the absolutive suffix -tl is absent, and when m comes into final
>position, it delabializes to -n.  This is why in possessed forms and
>some compounds, one finds the form pan.  There has been some
>back-formation from this pan stem, so you might find pantli meaning
>'banner.'
>
>However, the second element in tzompantli is a different word, namely
>pantli, which means 'row' or 'wall.'
>
>The tzom- is the stem form of tzontli 'head of hair. In this case, the
>final n of the stem assimilates in labialization to the following p of
>pantli.
>
>There are plenty of representations of the tzompantli, so we know it
>was a rack of skulls, not scalps.  It appears that the tzom- in this
>case stands for the compound tzontecomatl literally 'scalp pot,' which
>is the Nahuatl word for skull.
>
>--
>This message has been scanned for viruses, worms, and potentially dangerous attachments and is believed to be safe. We do not recommend opening attachments unless you are expecting them. To learn more about virus protection at CSUMB, visit:
>
>http://it.csumb.edu/services/virus/

Dear Dr. Karttunen,

        Thank you for your prompt and authoratative response to my query regarding the etymology of the term "tzompantli."  I had noted a reference to 'scalp pots" attributed to you in the Virginia Miller paper regarding tzompantli architecture.  It is
therefore appropriate that you would have been one of the first to respond to the query in question.  Having been away for the past few days (at the Magic Kingdom in Anaheim...aka: Disneyland) I had not had an opportunity before now to thank you for
your response.  I will acknowledge your etymology of the term in my forthcoming paper.  Please do have a great day!

Best Regards,

Ruben G. Mendoza, Ph.D., Director
Institute for Archaeological Science, Technology and Visualization
Social and Behavioral Sciences
California State University Monterey Bay
100 Campus Center
Seaside, California 93955-8001

Email: archaeology_institute at csumb..edu
Voice: 831-582-3760
Fax: 831-582-3566
http://archaeology.csumb.edu
http://archaeology.csumb.edu/wireless/

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this e-mail message is sender-privileged and confidential information.  It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, electronic storage or use of this communication is prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, attaching the original message, and
delete the original message from your computer, and any network to which your computer is connected.

Thank you.