Translation of Tzompantli

Joanna Sanchez cihuatl at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Jan 13 16:40:27 UTC 2005

I have to say that I appreciate the light hearted spirit in which the
comments made by Dr. Carlson were offered, and do not wish to take him or
anyone else to task.  But I would say that we sometimes risk losing our
perspective and our credibility when we talk about elements of Mexican
culture in such ways.  I was frankly more surprised to read the following:
 I get a laugh everytime I drive by the city crematorium in Zacatecas.
Somebody got the bright idea to put tzompantli in big letter across
the front of the building. One of these days I may go in and tell the
administrator, or then again, maybe I won't.

    I couldn't help thinking that this suggests several things- albeit
unintentionally- that the administrator might be unaware of the meaning,
that we can illuminate aspects of a culture for its oblivious members (or
not...).
     I feel that any implication of exclusionism or exoticism, even in fun,
affects how we are perceived, and detracts from our good intentions, which
are born of a real respect and love we all share for the subject .
      Joanna Sanchez