Translation of Tzompantli

David Wright dcwright at PRODIGY.NET.MX
Thu Jan 13 17:21:42 UTC 2005

P.S. (just for the record)

I see the cedilla made it but the vowel didn't. It's an O fused with an E,
representing a vowel midway between Spanish O and E (pronounced like an E
but rounding the lips). There was a typo in the first form (straight
transcription); I automatically transcribed the TT as a T' (' is a glottal
occlusive). Here they are again, corrected and with the OE unfused:

paleographic transcription: amabexte anttoehoe
modernized phonetic transcription: /ama'bexte ant'oehoe/

Today the Otomi write that OE with an underlined O.