Translation of Tzompantli

idiez at MAC.COM idiez at MAC.COM
Thu Jan 13 22:22:52 UTC 2005

Joanna,
        I am Mexican, and in the course of my work as a teacher in Zacatecas,
I constantly joke with my students (both mestizo and indigenous) about
the racism that permeates Mexican society as well as the general lack of
understanding and misuse of indigenous culture. I guess you could say
it's
one of my teaching strategies.
        Although it wasn't my intention, it sounds like I offended you when I
wrote, "I get a laugh everytime I drive by the city crematorium in
Zacatecas.
Somebody got the bright idea to put tzompantli in big letter across the
front
of the building. One of these days I may go in and tell the
administrator, or
then again, maybe I won't." I would appreciate it if you could explain
what
you mean by "exclusionism" and "exoticism".

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Unidad Académica de Idiomas
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Director
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México