Translation of Tzompantli

Archaeology Institute institute at CSUMB.EDU
Wed Jan 12 19:46:50 UTC 2005

"John B. Carlson" <Tlaloc at umd.edu> writes:
>Ruben,
>
>Here's one important paper you should know:
>
>Miller, Virginia E.
>1999   The Skull Rack in Mesoamerica. In Mesoamerican Architecture
>as a Cultural Symbol (Jeff Karl Kowalski, Editor):pp. 340-360. Oxford
>University Press, New York.
>
>I will be interested in replies concerning the etymology as well as
>nuances of meaning associated with the Tzompantli. In Tlaxcala, there
>are a number of people with the last named Tzompantzi. I would be
>sure the original name was Tzompantzin. Wonder what these guys did
>for a living...  One man in Tlaxcala was running for a local
>municipal election. Would you vote for a Tzompantzin?
>
>John Carlson

Dear John,

        Thank you for your prompt response...I was away at the Magical Kingdom in Anaheim (aka: Disneyland) with my family and returned just a couple of days ago.  It has been some time since I last had contact with you (Aztec exhibit at the Denver Museum
of Natural History), but wanted to let you know that I currently have a manuscript under review regarding my recent archaeoastronomy  (solar geometry) studies of the California missions.  At present, I have a dozen sites with confirmed solstice and
equinox orientations...with attendant illuminations of tabernacle features and the like.

        As for the tzompantli article, that is currently under review for a volume on The Taking and Displaying of Human Trophies by Amerindians, and the article by Virginia Miller proved a great point of departure, but unlike the Miller paper, my analysis
centers on a cosmological and iconographic analysis of the architectural feature in question.  In my paper, I draw on the legend of the Hero Twins as a basis for interpreting extant associations between tzompantli and ballcourt features, and in
turn, on the cults of decapitation that co-occur with said features that first appear in Gulf lowland contexts...or that point of departure attributed to such groups as the Quiche (the authors of the Popol Vuh).  Beyond that, I await further
commentaries and reviews as to the paper, but Arthur Demarest (one of the conference paper reviewers) was particularly interested in my results and interpretations...so I am hoping for the best as per the current reviews.

Best Regards,

Ruben G. Mendoza, Ph.D., Director
Institute for Archaeological Science, Technology and Visualization
Social and Behavioral Sciences
California State University Monterey Bay
100 Campus Center
Seaside, California 93955-8001

Email: archaeology_institute at csumb..edu
Voice: 831-582-3760
Fax: 831-582-3566
http://archaeology.csumb.edu
http://archaeology.csumb.edu/wireless/

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this e-mail message is sender-privileged and confidential information.  It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, electronic storage or use of this communication is prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, attaching the original message, and
delete the original message from your computer, and any network to which your computer is connected.

Thank you.

--
This message has been scanned for viruses, worms, and potentially dangerous attachments and is believed to be safe. We do not recommend opening attachments unless you are expecting them. To learn more about virus protection at CSUMB, visit:

http://it.csumb.edu/services/virus/